Saturday 6 December 2014

butterick 5603 - the go-to dress

butterick 5603
This has really got to be the 'go -to' to dress.  I have seen it made up on other blogs and all styles and sizes are lovely.  My preferred variations are on the Julia Bobbins blog, and she also has an enviable figure and each version is stunning on her.  I was thinking of trying one of her adaptions, but I thought I best to just make it up as-is first, and then see if the straighter skirt would suit later.  I really like the waist definition on this pattern, it just flows beautifully.  I have a bit of a pet-hate with some waist seams on ready-to-wear dresses, they don't suit a lot of people, regardless of age or shape, and if you have a long or short back, or sway back, they will sit all wrong. 
butterick 5603 - the go to dress

I had made a version (or toile) of the dress from a bed sheet, and the shape so so so  flattering  - this version is a bit bland and probably trim etc could lift it, I don't think I will be trimming it, and have figured it could make a swanky set of PJs.  The shape of the dress was sufficiently fab for me to be on the look out for some fabric  because I really like the wider skirt .  There was no way was I going to get the cut from an upcycle, so I got some grossgrain on a mark-down (and later found flaws - ick) and went with that.  Its cotton grossgrain, so has a lot of body and limited give on the straight and too much on the bias.  I thought I would try bodice A as I like boat-neck, but I didn't like it for this dress, and there was enough fabric for Bodice B.  I think if I was using bodice A again, I would also omit the v back - and not because it was a messy facing to do either!)
butterick 5603 - the go to dress

Everything was pretty straightforward, although I think the bodice could have done with a better form of facing than lining in this instance, but its minor. I used the flash on the camera for two of the photos so the fabric looks a bit glossier than it is. My partner, James, thinks the bows look fiddly/silly, but I love them! I feel a bit like a walking 1950's pattern illustration wearing the dress, so that can't be a bad thing either.  Anyway, as the orange Pauline dress made its way to a friends wardrobe, this is my christmas party dress........ and I am well happy!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful dress! The bows are great, too! I have this pattern in my stash, and seeing your version has really made me want to bring it up the list!

    ReplyDelete