Sunday, 14 September 2014
Simplicity 8203 - trousers to tennis dress
The athena poster dress was auctioned earlier this year and got 15k! It well exceeded the guide price and the back story is a good read. Its a home-made dress and is from a simplicity pattern (is supposed to be from Simplicity 8203). I like square necklines, and decided to give it a go. The pattern allows for 3 dress lengths and also has a pattern of kick pants/tap pants/hot pants for underneath. Its a good option obviously for wearing dress at the shortest length (unless you are having an athena moment of course),
I was able to cut the short length from a pair of linen trousers and would have been able to get the mid length also. I lined the dress in white cotton and used bias binding to finish the arm holes and some binding for the neckline - it may have been a nicer effect to have just bound both in white, and having a white detailed neck and arm etc instead of turning them over all the way. Its a straight-forward pattern, and quickly made up, I intended to put trim on it (part for decoration and then it became compulsory when I did a mis-cut) , but I would have preferred if I could have found the generic daisy trim that seemed to trim every item of clothing I had as a child but not available in local haberdashery.
I decided to not finish the trim as overall, I am still undecided on the overall finish so I have pinned it (badly)n for the photo, and will figure a better 'look' for it later. I think it needs some detailing, but unsure yet. I made the kick-pants, they are very much of their time as they fit right on the waist - but they could also be adapted to sit lower. The big achievement for me, was to get a dress cut from a pair of trousers. Cute pattern - and thinking of making some other versions...........................